If you’re interested in getting married at St Thomas’ Church – then first of all, congratulations! Getting married in Church makes great sense. A wedding is a huge occasion – you will be making a decision to be joined together as one couple for the rest of your life, ‘for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health’. It’s a huge commitment and so it’s great to make that commitment in front of God, and ask for His help.
Can we get married at St Thomas’ Church?
There are two legal restrictions about who can be married at our Church: (1) whether you’ve been married before; and (2) where you are from.
- If either of you has been married before then please contact us because we’d love to explore with you what is possible with regard to getting married in church.
- If either one of you lives in the Parish of Kidsgrove, then you can get married at St Thomas’ Church. (You can check which Parish you live in by clicking here and entering your postcode)
- If you don’t live in the Parish of Kidsgrove, then you must have some connection to the Church. Ideally, that would mean coming along and joining our Church community. Alternatively, the law states that you can be married in the Church if one of you fulfils any one of the following criteria, that is if one of you:
- has at any time lived in the Parish for a period of at least 6 months
- has at any time regularly gone to normal Church services in the Parish Church for a period of at least 6 months (if you choose to join St Thomas’ Church, then after 6 months of Church attendance, we would be delighted to book a date for your wedding)
- was baptised in the Parish
- was prepared for confirmation in the Parish
- is on the Church’s electoral roll
- has (or had) a parent that lived in the Parish for a period of at least 6 months (after you were born)
- has (or had) a parent who has regularly gone to normal Church services in the Parish Church for a period of at least 6 months
- has (or had) a parent or grandparent that was married in the Parish.
If you would like to talk about getting married at St Thomas’ Church, please contact Rachel Halstead on 01782 774586, or you can email us by clicking here.